- 25 Kids Books About Adoption November 17, 2017 - 0 comments
- In Memory of the Most Amazing Dad November 10, 2017 - 0 comments
- 5 Things to Pray for Your Child's Birth Parents November 8, 2017 - 0 comments
Adoption Funding Process
We realize adoption can be expensive. Lifesong for Orphans encourages God’s people to adopt a child by relieving some of the financial burden of adoption through Matching Grants, Interest-Free Loans and creative fundraising ideas.
The one thing that helped us the most through the process was knowing that the Lifesong family was praying for us!
–Rex & Lorraine, matching grant recipients & adoptive parents of Samuel from China
Criteria for Grants & Loans
- Leading of the Holy Spirit
- Need of the child (special needs, older child, etc.)
- Financial need of prospective adoptive parents
- Referral and level of support from local church pastor/leadership
- Availability of funds
- Upon the completion your home study, you are eligible to apply for adoption funding.
- Complete and submit an application requesting a Matching Grant, Interest Free Loan, Fundraising Support, or Both Hands. (Please note that in order to comply with IRS guidelines and ECFA best practice, we must receive the completed application before the placement of a child in your home.)
- Because of the volume of applications, please expect application process to take 8-10 weeks.
- Lifesong will prayerfully consider your request for financial assistance and make a determination to approve or decline your request, indicating the specific amount (if approved).
Approval & Fundraising
- If approved for a Matching Grant, we will establish a “goal-date” to have all funds received by Lifesong in order to be applied towards the ‘dollar-for-dollar’ Matching Grant. This goal date is typically 6-8 weeks from the time a grant is approved, but will vary according to each adoptive families needs. (The goal date is not a deadline. Your account can remain open until your child is home & adoption is complete.)
- You develop a mailing list of 100-200 potential supporters. This group would include individuals from your church, family, friends, business contacts, co-workers, etc.
- Support Raising Kit — You will mail this kit in one envelope to each of your potential supporters.
- Sample Support Letter — We will provide you with a sample Support Letter you will customize, sharing how God led you to adopt, where you are in the adoption process, child’s information and pictures and inviting them to support you in prayer and financial gifts as led by the Lord.
- Lifesong Letter of Support — We will provide you with a Letter of Support from Lifesong’s leadership that articulates God’s heart for orphan, the need, and our specific support of your adoption. We will explain our funding commitment and briefly how that works. This letter will be sent with your customized Support Letter. Our letter serves as a reinforcement of your request for prayer/financial support and may provide some ‘validation’ to the process.
- Donated funds are sent directly to Lifesong and are tax deductible. Receipts for donations $250 or more are sent to donors. For donations less than $250, receipts will gladly be sent when requested.
- Lifesong is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization and retains discretion and control over the use of all donations. Although this may cause some concern for families and donors, it is our intention to honor the wishes of donors as much as possible.
- If approved for an Interest-Free Loan, you will be asked to sign a Covenant Loan Agreement. Upon signing, funds can be dispersed to agency when we are provided with proper documentation.
When Fundraising is Complete
- Please send “Thank-You” notes to each of the individuals who have supported you financially. Lifesong can provide you with the list of donors to do this.
- Lifesong’s Grant/Loan monies will be available to be applied to your adoption expenses once it is in your account. Payments can be made to your adoption agency, homestudy agency, etc. Reimbursement is also available for expenses paid, with proper documentation.
- We encourage you to send a follow-up letter to your supporters shortly after your child joins your family, along with a family picture so each supporter sees what God did in your adoption and can continue to pray for your family.